In my opinion, if you had a hospital birth, you may need to trash some of the sales samples you were given there, and shed your preconceived notions about caring for your new little bundle of joy.
You probably know that there are very few softer surfaces than a newborn's skin.
It is important to remember that most items you apply to this soft skin, just like your skin, will be absorbed into their bloodstream. There are plenty of reasons to be especially concerned with what you allow to go on your baby's skin – for these four reasons.
- Your baby's skin is ten times thinner than yours is
- Their sebaceous glands are not fully developed, making them more sensitive to mother's hormones – and by extrapolation, probably other things
- Like you, their skin is their largest organ
- Your baby's rapidly dividing cells make her even more sensitive to DNA-disrupting toxins than an adult is
- So it stands to reason that your baby's (or grandbaby's) skin care products may have much more 'damage' potential than even your own skin products do
Top-Selling 'Hall of Shame' Ingredients…
Top selling baby products contain many of the same potentially damaging or harmful ingredients as the ones I hope you've quit using by now.
Grab the bottles of samples you got from the hospital or have stashed in your nursery, and check them against this list of toxins found in many of the top selling baby products.
Each of these items are known or suspected of causing potential health issues, according to Environmental Working Group:
- Fragrance – An undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants, i.e., diethyl phthalate. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potentially negative reproductive effects in adults. Certain fragrances are known immune system toxicants & neurotoxins in adults. Considered a high hazard by EWG.
- Isopropyl Palmitate – Fragrance ingredient, skin conditioning agent. Linked to broad systemic toxicity and skin irritation in adults…
- Polysorbate 61 – Fragrance ingredient, emulsifier. Linked to cancer, broad systemic toxicity, reproductive problems, changes in liver weight, and more in adults…
- Parabens (Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben) – Widely used preservatives in the cosmetics industry – in an estimated 13,200 cosmetic and skin care products. Studies show links to cancer for mutagenic and hormone disrupting qualities in adults… Also linked to skin toxicity and irritation, negative brain, nervous system, and behavioral effects, and interference with gene expression in adults…
- BHT / Toluene – May be very poisonous! Made from petroleum and coal tar… found in most synthetic fragrances. Chronic exposure in adults linked to anemia, lowered blood cell count, liver and kidney damage, may damage a developing fetus, skin & immune system toxicant, may cause cell mutations or endocrine disruption…
- Mineral Oil – Liquid mixture of hydrocarbons from petroleum. Coats the skin like plastic – may clog pores and create toxic build-up… In adults, it slows cellular development, is implicated as a carcinogen, disrupts hormonal activity. When you think about black oil pumped from deep underground, ask yourself if you really want to put that stuff on your precious baby's skin…
- PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate – A polyethylene glycol diester of Polyhydroxystearic Acid. Contains Dioxane – which is also hidden in polysorbates, laureth, ethoxylated alcohol. Often contaminated with high concentrations of highly volatile 1,4-dioxane which is easily absorbed via the skin. Its carcinogenicity was first reported in 1965… confirmed in other studies including an NCI study in 1978. Nasal passages considered very vulnerable…
- Myristyl Myristate – May be linked to cancer, developmental & reproductive toxicity, bio-accumulates, is a skin irritant.
- Benzyl Alcohol – Used as a solvent and preservative. Strong evidence of neurotoxicity, reproductive problems, cancer, allergy problems, skin irritation in adults…
- Propylene Glycol – Common cosmetic moisturizer and fragrance. May cause skin irritation and inhibit skin cell growth. Linked to kidney and liver problems, cell mutations, reproductive problems in adults…
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – A synthetic surfactant associated with irritation and allergic contact dermatitis – reactions which could be due to either the ingredient or impurities within it, i.e., 3-dimethylaminopropylamine, nitrosamines. Suspected immune system toxicant, environmental toxicant.
- Quarternium-15 – This preservative acts as a formaldehyde releaser. In adults, it is linked to cancer, reproductive problems, allergies & immune toxicity, brain, nervous system and behavioral problems…
- Sodium Hydroxide – A highly caustic and reactive inorganic base. In adults, it is linked to cancer… brain, nervous system, behavioral and metabolic effects at very low doses… neurotoxicity…
Shamefully, every one of these ingredients was found in at least one leading seller of three very popular types of baby products – Baby Wash, Baby Lotion, and Diaper Cream.
It's scary to think about applying those toxins to their skin each and every day.
I believe a better option is…
"Sunshine Fresh" Organic Skin Care
For Your Little Darling…
Now, I'm certain that once you realize the harm these potentially risky ingredients can do to your precious and vulnerable little one, you'll probably want to trash the products you received as 'gifts' and 'samples' you likely received from the hospital and look into better options.
So why subject your baby to toxins or potential toxins that begin compromising their health from their very first days… instead of using products that do not contain those same potential toxins?
Naturally, every loving parent wants only the best for their precious babies and toddlers…
Because it's so difficult to find natural and organic baby products, we worked extra hard to develop products that would give you total peace of mind… and omit those ingredients (discussed above) that I believe could potentially harm your son or daughter's superior health from day one…
Even better… we insisted it be certified organic by Oregon Tilth, according to the USDA's strict organic standards.
We're rolling out our brand new baby product line with 3 products that I believe every baby – and their parents – need:
- Organic Baby Lotion – Loaded up with aloe vera, shea butter, cucuacu butter, sunflower and olive oil… chamomile, lavender, calendula, and oatmeal extracts, lavender essential oil, and vanilla extract – all organic… Perfect for your baby's delicate little body.
Equally important is what we left out – parabens, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic detergents, petroleum products, and more… Because what goes on your baby goes in your baby.
- Organic Diaper Cream – To soothe delicate places, use just a thin coating of this lightly chamomile- and orange-scented cream with each diaper change. Works great for all your baby's diapering needs.
Hydrate and refresh your baby's bottom with a proprietary blend of all organic ingredients aloe vera, shea & cupuacu butter, chamomile and sweet orange essential oils, lavender & calendula extracts, sunflower & jojoba oil…
- Organic Foaming Baby Wash – Gentle, soft, and without harsh chemicals… Bath-time just improved, along with your peace of mind.
Baby Wash is natural, filled with the all-organic goodness of apple essence, aloe vera, and olive, soybean, and coconut oil…
Curious about the specifics? Let's take a closer look…
Blissful Babies Make for Peaceful Households…
Almost nothing destroys the peace within your home faster than a fussy baby who refuses to be calmed.
On the other hand, nothing spells "J-O-Y" like a cheerful, playful baby.
Special Formula Just for Babies
(Others Wanting "Baby-Soft" Skin are Allowed to Borrow…)
That's why Mercola Organic Baby Lotion is formulated just for babies to be so gently soothing to their skin.
But I'll bet there are plenty of family members who'll love using it as much as baby does!
Just see what a nourishing line-up we've put together for your baby's happiness… Nine beneficial ingredients to soothe and relax your baby's skin…
- Organic Aloe Vera Juice – One of the most nourishing liquids on the entire planet. More than 130 compounds
Long respected for its soothing properties… Contains almost 20 amino acids, minerals (calcium, magnesium and sodium), enzymes, vitamins, polysaccharides, nitrogen and other components… therefore many people call it a 'miracle herb'.
- Organic Shea Butter – An all-natural vitamin A cream from West Central Africa…
Highly regarded as a superior skin moisturizer… it helps make your skin appear more elastic while revitalizing and softening it. Excellent treatment for dry skin.
Well-known vitamins include A, E, F…
- Organic Cupuacu Butter – An exceptional moisturizer with remarkable water absorption, sterols, and overall nourishing benefits.
Cupuacu butter is softer and creamier than cocoa butter and has a mild aroma. It absorbs water more effectively than lanolin (used in many skin care products).
Its incredible creaminess promotes a special softness and smoothness to your skin, boosting its natural moisture and helping it to appear more elastic. Studies show it can help soothe the skin.
- Organic Sunflower Oil – Calming and moisturizing. Good for soothing skin.
Provides extra skin-soothing properties for newborns… A deeply nourishing conditioning agent for your baby's skin.
With vitamins A, D, and E…
- Organic Olive Oil – Contains antioxidants, including vitamin E. Has squalene
- Organic Chamomile Extract – Packed with soothing properties.
May reduce itching caused by dry skin. Chamomile flowers are known for their refreshing and hypoallergenic qualities, and their ability to soothe the skin.
- Organic Lavender Extract – Promotes relaxation and great in massage rubs. Use it to relax your baby.
- Organic Calendula Extract – Helps hydrate skin.
- Organic Vanilla Extract – Primarily used for sensual aroma in skincare… very comforting and relaxing…
Why not make the switch today to Mercola Organic Baby Lotion – and trash those products which I feel could potentially compromise your baby's health?
Next in the line-up…
Tender Loving Care for Your Baby's Skin and Bottom
Let me give you a few hints on how to maintain your infant's healthy skin naturally.
- Breastfeeding. This is the IDEAL form of nutrition for infants and strong efforts to supply your child with this optimal food is the best you can do for your child.
- Sun Exposure. Not only will that provide useful vitamin D, but it will also nourish the skin. Be careful to avoid too much exposure, Ideally, you should expose your baby's entire naked body.
- Avoid Gluten and Dairy. This would include not only food your baby gets but also you if you are breast feeding. Antigens present in gluten and dairy products are easily transferred to breast milk.
- Animal Omega-3 Fats. They provide important building blocks for your baby's forming brain and nervous system.
- GLA. This is an omega-6 fat called gamma linolenic acid that seems to be particularly useful for supporting healthy skin.
8 Diapering Tips for Young Parents
These steps can keep your baby's bottom feeling just hunky dory…
Follow these eight tips for your most carefree, happy baby:
- Always wash your hands after handling a diaper.
- Avoid using baby wipes containing alcohol or perfume – they are too drying for your baby's skin.
- Never use talcum powder… there is some evidence that it may damage your baby's lungs.
- Change your baby often – as soon after he urinates or passes stool as possible.
- Wipe baby's bottom clean with a lukewarm washcloth with every change. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing. You can use a spray bottle with warm water for sensitive areas.
- Lay your baby on a towel without a diaper when possible… giving her bottom exposure to the air, a 'breather' from the diaper. (Incidentally, this is also a good time to massage your baby with Mercola Organic Baby Lotion.)
- Put baby's diaper on loosely so not to chafe his waist or legs.
- Use a gentle, all natural, organic diaper cream, such as the one we formulated especially for our readers.
To Help Keep Your Baby Calm and Serene,
Use This with Every Diaper Change…
Formulated to be soothing to your baby's bottom…
Mercola Organic Diaper Cream is certified organic by Oregon Tilth, per USDA certified organic standards… giving you complete peace of mind about the safety of what you're applying to your little one's skin.
Just look at this collection of ten amazingly soothing nutrients and ingredients we've brought together to give your baby the ultimate in diapering comfort…
- Organic Aloe Vera Juice – One of the most nourishing liquids on the entire planet. Contains more than 130 compounds…
Long respected for its soothing properties… Aloe vera contains so many amino acids, minerals, enzymes, vitamins, and more… that people call it a 'miracle herb'.
- Organic Shea Butter – An all-natural vitamin A cream from West Central Africa… also contains vitamins E and F.
Highly regarded as a superior skin moisturizer… it helps makes baby's skin appear more elastic while revitalizing and softening it. Excellent in diaper cream, because of its calming effect on dry skin…
- Organic Cupuacu Butter – an exceptional moisturizer with remarkable water absorption, sterols, and overall nourishing benefits.
Cupuacu butter is softer and creamier than cocoa butter and boasts a mild aroma. It absorbs water more effectively than lanolin (used in many skin care products).
Its remarkable creaminess provides special softness and smoothness to your baby's skin, boosting natural moisture and helping it to appear more elastic. Studies show it can help soothe skin.
- Organic Sunflower Oil – Its calming and moisturizing properties are well-known. Effective for soothing skin. Provides extra skin-soothing properties for newborns… a deeply nourishing conditioning agent for your baby's skin.
- Organic Chamomile Extract – Soothing. Helps relieve itching related to dry skin. Chamomile is respected for its refreshing, hypoallergenic qualities, and its ability to soothe the skin.
- Organic Lavender Extract – Promotes relaxation, so is perfect to relax and calm your baby.
- Organic Calendula Extract – Helps hydrate skin.
- Organic Jojoba Oil – One of nature's most amazing products. Technically it's not an oil, but a pure, luxurious liquid wax ester similar to baby's skin's sebum.
The sebum's job is to hold water inside your baby's skin, helping to keep it soft and supple. On oily skin, jojoba absorbs fast.
Jojoba helps moisturize your baby's skin. Also, jojoba's nutrients include vitamin E, B-complex, and the minerals silicon, chromium, copper, zinc, and iodine.
- Organic Beeswax – Help for your baby's skin.
- Organic Sweet Orange Essential Oil – This light and airy aroma is cheering, refreshing, calming and uplifting, and at the same time contributes to your baby's tranquility… and yours by extension. The oil of the sweet orange helps promote skin rejuvenation and helps improve the appearance of skin tone, making it a perfect diapering option.
So bring a bit of citrusy wonder to your baby's diapering routine.
Doesn't your precious baby deserve the best today?
By the way, you might be interested in knowing that some adults love Mercola Organic Diaper Cream as a refreshing hand cream perfect for very dry skin. So don't count yourself out on this one, especially if you've always felt 'stuck' with dry skin.
Hurry – get your softer skin solution today.
Last but not least, it's time to learn…
How to Bathe Your New Little 'Treasure'
Most new parents return home from the hospital somewhat fearful about making a mistake bathing their new little one. After all, the baby seems so fragile, and she can't even support her own head yet.
But once you've done it a few times, you'll get into a routine, and the scariness will likely go away.
Be advised that not all babies love their baths at the beginning either. It's likely not that you're doing anything wrong. That's just the way it is… new and scary for them too. Just like your fear, theirs will likely go away in time too.
Here are some handy tips to get you started… But always follow your doctor's instructions about bathing your baby.
- Gather everything you need in one place – baby wash, baby lotion, diaper cream, washcloth, towels (minimum of one to dry with, and one to lay in the tub or bowl), clean diapers, clean clothes or sleeper… and hopefully your partner (to help).
- Fill your tub, bowl or baby bathtub with a few inches of warm water. Be sure it's not too hot, as your baby's skin is very sensitive and could be scalded. It should feel comfortably warm on the inside of your wrist. Always prepare the water before putting your baby in the tub.
- Gently place your baby into the water, carefully supporting his neck and head. Always hold your baby firmly when in the tub. And NEVER EVER leave a baby in a bath by himself. Ever. (Even at age two or three.)
- Wring warm water from a soft washcloth and starting with baby's face, wash from the cleanest areas to the dirtiest.
- Pour cupfuls of warm water over him regularly during his bath to keep him warmed.
- Use even mild soap sparingly. Your baby only needs soap once or twice per week – except for the diaper area. And she also only needs her hair washed with something other than water once a week. Just rinse with water on the other days.
- When washing your baby's genitals, use a soft clean cloth and lukewarm water. For girls, always wash from front to back, carefully and gently cleaning between the folds of skin. No special care is needed to clean your son's penis; do not pull the foreskin back to clean underneath. It is not necessary.
- For your baby's best health, use a gentle organic cleanser such as the one my team created especially for our readers – one that is not only mild and chemical-free, but is all-organic, certified to USDA standards by Oregon Tilth.
The 5 Ingredients Destined to Make Your Baby's Bath Time
Non-Toxic, FUN, and Soothing…
Of course, your baby deserves the very best!
And with the mountain of concerns you already have as new parents, isn't it nice to have the peace of mind that the products you clean your baby with are safe, non-toxic and formulated specially for their delicate skin?
Recall that the top-selling brands of baby wash (as well as baby lotion and diaper cream) are full of ingredients that I consider questionable and potentially toxic.
That's why we've put together a special line-up of wholesome ingredients meant to help get your precious little one off to the best possible start in life, in Mercola Organic Foaming Baby Wash…
It's so pleasant the entire family may want to use it. Check out its five primary ingredients:
- Organic Apple Essence – Organic alpha hydroxy-acid from apples exfoliates baby's skin, imparts a smooth appearance, improves the appearance of skin tone and texture… and it's an antioxidant suitable for all skin types.
- Organic Olive Oil –With antioxidants and vitamin E… Contains squalene.
- Organic Coconut Oil – Another potent antioxidant. Unlike most lotions, coconut oil has lasting benefits.
- Organic Soybean Oil – Contains vitamins, minerals, proteins… and is a protein-rich emollient.
- Organic Aloe Vera – One of the most nourishing liquids on Planet Earth. Boasts more than 130 compounds…
Aloe vera contains amazing amino acids, minerals, enzymes, vitamins, and more… so much so that people call it a 'miracle herb'.
Mercola Organic Foaming Baby Wash doesn't smell 'soapy' at all, but has a light, refreshing, natural scent – just like nature itself.
I'm confident that you'll love this product, as well as the Mercola Organic Diaper Cream and Mercola Organic Baby Lotion.
Why not give all three of them a try today?
Be one of the first to grab them, while your baby's still an infant.
I'll bet your baby will love them – and you may find you like them so well, you'll be 'borrowing' your baby's products. In fact, you might want to buy for both of you right from the get-go…
Soft skin never felt so good! Order yours today.